The Mineral County Tax Roll, listing the property valuations for tax assessment purposes for the taxable year 2015-2016 has been completed by County Assessor Dorothy Fowler and her staff and is published in today’s issue of the Independent – News.

Individual notices also have been mailed to property owners advising them of their assessed valuations and procedures to be followed, if they have questions or complaints to be considered.

The tax roll is a list of the owners of real property in the county and shows the assessed valuation placed upon land, buildings and personal property that are secured by the real property. Unsecured personal property is recorded separately and taxes on such property are collected on a cash basis.

Taxes based on valuation listed in the tax roll will be due and payable starting next August and may be paid in one lump sum or quarterly. The taxes are due quarterly on Aug. 17, 2015; Oct. 5, 2015; Jan. 4, 2016 and March 2, 2016.

Taxpayers intending to protest valuations must file a petition for review on forms available at the County Assessor’s Office. Such petitions must be filed no later than January 15, 2015.

Any taxpayer filing a petition for review must appear before the County Board of Equalization and submit proof of what is considered improper assessment.

The published tax list also contains valuable information for taxpayers who may qualify for tax exemptions. Among those exemptions included in this assistance program are Surviving Spouse (not to be lower than $1,250 assessed valuation); Veterans (not to exceed $2500 assessed valuation); Blind persons (not to exceed $3,750 assessed valuation); Disabled veteran (not to exceed $12,500 for 60 – 79 percent $18,750 for 80 percent to 99 percent $25,000 for 100 percent).

Those applying for exemption must qualify as actual bona fide residents (six months) in Nevada. They must apply on or before Nov. 1 of each year to appear in the newspaper listings.

If you have questions, please contact the Mineral County Assessor’s Office at 775-945-3684.