40 Years Ago – Nelda McCoy was collecting labels from Cold Power, Axion soap and Dynamo soap to send to St. Luke’s in Reno to be used for eye glass and hearing aid purchases. These labels can be turned into Bethany Lutheran Church or McCoy will collect.

10 Years Ago

  • Our men in military service. On Oct. 3, Tyler L. Hegg graduated Basic Training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. He was then at Sheppard AFB in Texas, where he was training in fuel systems on aircraft. After Airman Hegg graduated his technical training he was then stationed in Little Rock, Ark.

20 Years Ago

  • Commissioners donate $1,000 to Disabled American Veterans van fund. Frank Greenwood, of the local Disabled American Veterans post, met with commissioners to request a donation towards the purchase of a new van for Hawthorne. Greenwood said they hope to have three more vans in Nevada. Commissioner Arlo Funk then moved to donate $1,000 from the community service fund of Payment in Lieu of Taxes. The motion was seconded by Dan Dillard and approved.

30 Years Ago

  • Smoking areas to be designated at county courthouse. Because of the law passed by the recent legislature, designated smoking areas must be established in all public buildings. Rather than making this decision, the board of county commissioners told elected officials in the courthouse to meet and designate an area where smoking will be allowed. This may be in each office or in a location near to the offices. These smoking areas will be designated by signs.

40 Years Ago

  • Teenagers of the month were named by BPO Elks Lodge No,. 1704. Crista Odette Lenston and Ron Richard Kellough were named for the month of October. Deanna Lynn Cardenas and Jim Kevin Lynch were named junior teenagers of the month.

50 Years Ago

  • Sheriff Sanderson to seek reelection to office in 1970. Sheriff E.T. Sanderson announced in Reno that he will seek reelection to a third term in the office he holds now in the 1970 Mineral County. Sanderson was first elected in 1958 for a four-year term in 1966. In his announcement in the Reno Gazette Journal, Sanderson said “I am so well acquainted with the people and other law enforcement officers around here and the state that I feel the people would want me one more time. Guess I’m just not ready to quit yet.”

60 Years Ago

  • Clyde Farnsworth, a ten-year-old Gabbs youth, experienced a cold and trying ordeal when he became lost while on a deer hunting trip south of Hawthorne, but was found safe and unharmed the next morning. The youth had accompanied his father and his great grandfather on the hunting trip to Johnson Canyon.

70 Years Ago

  • As an added precautionary measure to protect children from possible injury, Marine Military Police has been assigned to each local bus on schedules where children are being transported to and from school. This arrangement concurred in by school, Marine and bus line officials, will provide supervised traffic stops at all bus stops on the school schedule.

80 Years Ago

  • A 15-day jail sentence results from petty larceny charge here. Richard Stacey was sentenced by Justice of the Peace A.H. Barlow to serve fifteen days in the county jail following his trial yesterday on a petty larceny charge. Stacey was charged with taking an overcoat and auto accessories, owned by local residents, from a camp ground in town. Stacy was given the alternative of a $30 fine but stated he was unable to pay the amount and would have to serve time.

90 Years Ago

  • Fire swept away one of Silver City’s oldest dwelling houses, built in the early boom days of the 1860’s, when the Florin Windisch house was swept away by flames that broke out under the roof, supposedly from a defective chimney. The barking of the dog was the first indication given Alex Ogilvie, superintendent of the Red Jacket Mine and his son, who were in the living room of the house, that anything was wrong. The house has been occupied for some time by the Ogilvie’s , and that next morning Mrs. Ogilvie left for Reno, where she will make her home for the winter. When Olgilvie and his son rushed into the yard they discovered that the roof of the old welling was a mass of flames. They immediately spread the alarm and the volunteer fire department held the flames from spreading to other houses. Much of the furniture was saved. The home was originally owned by Colonel Quinn, early-day financier of the Comstock. It was later purchased by Ed Hamilton, who made a fortune from the mines.