The first road built on the west side of Walker Lake in 1921 was on the east side of the lake and so sandy it was most impossible in dry weather. The Mineral County Board of County Commissioners decided in 1921 to build this road on the west side of the lake. It is known as the road around the Cliffs as it was tough going around and the finished road was narrow. The first car to travel the new road was Henry Boerlin’s Reo Car. It took four men to hold up the car from tipping over but Boerlin drove the car over the new road. Later the state widened the road and built a new road on the west side of Walker Lake. Road not completed in the picture. – Jane Franklin family photo