Courtesy photo

Larry Grant, Hawthorne Utilities director, informed the Independent-News that on Monday night his department was informed of a large fire at the Hawthorne landfill. Grant praised his employees as well as Mineral County Public Works for their help in battling the fire and the local fire department staff and volunteers who were battling the fire throughout the night and Tuesday.

This is not the first time the landfill has been on fire. Last year the dump caught on fire with the cause being a lithium ion battery found in cellphones. Grant believes that this is the cause of this year’s blaze. The landfill was closed Tuesday for mop-up and reopened Wednesday under close fire watch.

If you need to dispose of a cellphone battery, please take to the utilities office or give to the attendant at the gate.