The North Star Consolidated Mine, owned by Tobe Crossman and the two Ganong brothers, Charlie and Cork and is situated about a half mile northwest of the Mount Cory mine and about the same distance west from the town of Coryville. The ledge is separate and distant from that of the Mount Cory Mine and runs parallel with it.
On April 22, 1883, the men at work in the face of tunnel tapped a very fine looking ledge. They ran the tunnel four more feet into it when they ran out of powder and had to come back to town, brining news of the great prospect and many fine samples for assay.
Hebberling, the assayer, determined that they contained; silver at $122.55 and gold at $1.50. Mr. Hebberling stated that the ore carries from 10 to 15 percent lead and is in all respects similar to the Mount Cory workings.
The tunnel encountered the ledge in about 145 feet, between eighty and ninety feet beneath the croppings. There is an abundance of water and fine timber on the ground and two or three splendid looking ledges crop out on the surface.
A mine having a ledge assaying $124 and known to be at least seven feet wide at the comparatively small depth of ninety feet is generally considered to be a very fine piece of property. At this point things looked pretty promising for the boys.
Messrs. Forbes, Cardwell, Angell and Stoner have a location on the eastern extension of the North Star called the Rising Sun. the ledge crops out boldly on their claim and they feel jubilant over the strike.
Both groups plan to stockpile their deposits until the Mt. Cory Reduction Works in completed and that is expected to be about January or February, 1884.