Leo Edgar Jones

Leo Edgar Jones was born to Clara Augustine Jones and Jim Jones, Jan. 4, 1924, in Dayton, Texas.

In all of his 93 years, Leo led an amazing life, and we gather here today, to celebrate his time spent with us all. As a young child, he had to travel with his Mother, who was a cook for a group of cowboys, who steered cattle from place to place, in Texas. Hers was an arduous job, and as a little one, he gathered wood and water for cooking, and would help pass food to the men.

He was a would-be entrepreneur when he became a little older; he and his two female cousins started a fruit stand, by picking various wild berries and other fruit, then selling them. When telling me this, he would have a big grin on his face cause, he said, “I was the oldest, and I could climb trees and knock down peaches or plums, so I was the boss!” When Leo was 14 or 15 years old, he picked cotton by choice because he saw a “pretty girl” that he wanted to get to know, he was able to tolerate picking cotton for only a few months because the hours and the hard work was more than he anticipated. Wonder what happened to the “pretty girl!”

When he was 18 years old, he worked as a dining car waiter, with the Pullman Porters(in the 1920’s the Pullman Company was the largest single employer of African American men ) until he was inducted into the U.S. Army, at the age of 19 in 1943. While serving, his military occupation was a light truck driver, while being qualified as a sharp shooter. He served in New Guinea and the Southern Philippines (Luzon). He received an Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Ribbon, with three bronze stars; Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one bronze star; Victory Ribbon; and three Overseas Service Bars. His date of separation and Honorable Discharge was 1946.

On returning to the US, his place of separation was Fort Sam Houston, Texas.  He met Hattie Mae Gambrell; they were married March 29, 1947 and moved to Hawthorne, where he was hired to work at the Naval Ammunition Depot, for 35 years. He and his wife raised their eight children – five boys and three girls. For clarification, his granddaughter Tamika Jones was adopted by our parents, as an infant, for health insurance purposes, as her mother Belinda Jones would be attending cosmetology school in Reno and could not provide the coverage.

After the passing of his beloved girlfriend, our Mother of course, starting in 1999, Leo traveled from Arkansas to New York City, Brooklyn and Staten Island. From Beale Street, Memphis, Tenn. to the gambling halls of Tunica, Miss, to Trump Towers in New Jersey and to Hot Springs, Ark. He visited Los Angeles, Oakland and Sebastopol, Calif. He cruised and stayed at the Grand Bahamas twice, his last cruise was to Alaska, where he was flown to and joined in, on a fishing expedition. He fished from Arkansas to Washington, Minnesota, and went on a houseboat fishing trip to Canada, after acquiring his passport, in September, 2010. He as an avid sportsman, hunting and fishing in Nevada for over 65 years. He loved the outdoors, teaching those of his sons who were interested and the ‘craft’ of being an outdoorsman.

Leo knew the Lord. He was raised Methodist, his church, the Stephen Paul AME Methodist Church, which remains standing, in Dayton, Texas. Our father knelt every night to say his prayers in private and every New Year God brought, he was in his home on his knees, praying in that New Year.

He left quietly and peacefully, on Aug. 30, 2017, but not without leaving a legacy which will live on. Rest well Papa. We will miss and love you until we meet again.

We the children of this kind, gentle, and loving soul: Tamika, LaVelle, Jerry, Belinda, Gregory, Kenneth, Jr, Charles and Saundra, thank all of you for your condolences, phone calls, coming to the house, bringing food and comfort to us, we thank you. Our Papa was a quiet unassuming man that loved his family, his friends, Hawthorne and of course his second residence…..the El Capitan.  His job was to be there to make sure the lights and the water was always on!

Timothy Lee Trease

Timothy Lee Trease was born July 20, 1967 and passed away peacefully surrounded by family after a five-month battle with cancer on Monday, Aug. 28 in Oak Harbor, Wash., at the age of 50.

Tim was born to Larry and Gail (McKissick) Trease in Hawthorne. A native Nevadan, he lived in Tuscarora, Wadsworth, Fernley, Tonopah, Fallon, Sparks and Elko with brief residencies in Boise, Idaho and Sandy, Utah.

Tim attended Elko Grammar School #2 and Elko High School, then went on to graduate from Sparks High School in 1986. After graduation, Tim enlisted in the United States Marine Corps and served from 1986 through 1990, which included time in California and Southeast Asia: Japan, the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Island of Borneo. Tim continued his service to our nation as a member of the Army Reserve and Utah Army National Guard from 1991 through 1995.

Tim believed in the value of education and worked hard to earn his degrees to help him achieve his career goals. Tim obtained his Associate of Arts from Western Nevada College; Associate of Biological Sciences from Western Nevada College; Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Biology/Communications and a minor in Biology from the University of Nevada, Reno; Master Certificate in Project Management from Villanova University and a Master of Science Degree in Management from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, where he graduated with a medal of distinction (4.0 GPA) in his graduating class.

Tim began his career on the Tonopah Test Site as a Smokey Sam technician—firing rockets as visual cues to aircraft when the aircraft engaged with simulated enemy radars. Always one to better himself for his family, Tim applied for and held many different positions with Loral Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, URS and AECOM. His ultimate career goal was to achieve a contract site manager position on one of the many ranges comprising the Combined Tactical Training Range. After gaining valuable, diversified range experience and completing years of schooling, Tim achieved his career goal in September 2016, becoming the Contract Site Manager for the Pacific Northwest Electronic Warfare Range at Whidbey Island and Pacific Beach, Wash.

Tim enjoyed outdoor activities (boating, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting) with his friends and family. He loved the stories that came from doing these activities. But most importantly, Tim would like to be remembered for being a good father to his children, a good husband to his wife, a good role model for his community, a good coach for AYSO soccer, and for always treating others with kindness and respect.

Tim is survived by his wife, Jacqueline Berg-Trease of Oak Harbor, Wash.; daughter Britney Grimm and son-in-law Marshall Grimm of Logan, Utah; daughters Bailey and Bella Trease of Oak Harbor, Wash.; sister Jennifer (Mark) Jones of Fallon; brother Chris (Joy Brown) Trease of Columbus, Mo. Tim is also survived by his other-in-law Joanne (Ollerich) Berg of Sioux Falls, S.D.; Jackie’s sisters, Julianne (Jairo) Berg-Chapparo of Dyer and Jessica (Paul) Preister of Vermillion, S.D.; as well numerous cousins, nieces and nephews from both sides of the family. Mostly, Tim is survived by many, many friends who will also forever cherish his memory.

Tim was preceded in death by his parents, Larry and Gail (McKissick) Trease; grandparents, Andrew ‘Jack’ and Vera (Cook) Trease, Wallace Bruce and Pauline (Hoody) McKissick; Jackie’s father Roger Berg; Jackie’s grandparents, William and Julia Ollerich, William and Tilly Berg and many aunts and uncles.

A funeral mass will be held on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017, 11 a.m. at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Fallon with Rev. Fr. Antonio Quijano, Jr., Celebrant. Family and friends are encouraged to share memories and condolences at http://www.whidbeymemorial.com.

Anyone wishing to make a donation on behalf of the family may do so in memory of Tim at Navy Federal Credit Union, in the name of Jacqueline Trease.

Walter Howard Davis

Walter Howard Davis was born April 19, 1940, in Peerless, Mont. and passed away in the early hours of Friday, Sept. 8, 2017, in his home at the age of 77.

Walt had a wonderful sense of humor and loved to tease anyone and everyone. He loved to share his knowledge of all things, but especially driving. Walt found and kept friends everywhere he went. Everyone was drawn to his quiet demeanor and sense of humor. Walt was a hardworking, proud gentleman with a quick wit, genuine smile and sparkle in his eye.

Walt was an amazing father, brother, uncle and grandfather. Everyone who met Walt has a special story to tell about him. He touched so many lives and will be greatly missed by anyone and everyone who knew him.

Walter was preceded in death by his parents, Everett and Kathryn Davis; his brother, Calvin; his brother and sister-in-law, Larry and Janice Davis; brother-in-law, Pete Marottek; nieces: Lori Marottek and Donna Mihelich; nephews, Jeff Otzwirk and Jim Davis and granddaughter, Jasmine.

Walter is survived by his partner in crime, Dee-Bird; his children, Jody (Cory) Metcalf and their children Fletcher and Chandler; Roxie (Kevin) Cain and their children, Kylie and Paige; Josh Vogl; Jennifer Vogl and her children, Jessica and Joshlynn; Philip Vogl; his brother, Mick (Sue) Davis and their children, Everett, Lynn, Mary and Matt and their families; his sister, Mariann Marottek and her children, Sandy, Ronnie and Leann and their families; sister-in-law, Darlene Davis and her son, Kenny and his family; his nephew, Scott Davis and his family. He also leaves behind many great nieces and nephews and friends, too many to name.

At Walt’s request, no services will be held. Please send any correspondence to PO Box 407, Hardin MT 59034.

Condolences may be sent to the family at www.heightsfamilyfuneralhome.com.