The sign had been rescued from the now demolished Hawthorne Club on the corner of 5th and Main Streets.
The Hawthorne Club was first built in 1941 by Joe and Pick Hobson of Reno, who owned such businesses as the Palace Club.
In 1996, the Hawthorne Club was scheduled to be torn down, but forthsight was used in saving the old sign. In December of 1996, under the direction of Rocky McKellip, master of ceremonies, the old Hawthorne sign was revived and put at its new home, at the bottom of Veterans Memorial Park.
Local sign shop owner and neon light collector, Wade Barton, feels that there is hope is saving and restoring the beacon. In speaking with the Independent-News, he explained how the sign twisted and fell into the fence, which probably helped deflect part of the damage.
The cost of repair is unknown and Mineral County Public Works Director Eric Hamrey stated he has contacted the county insurance company.