3A chimney fire broke out at the 700 Block of B Street on Sunday evening. The quick response of neighbors helping neighbors saved the home of Judee Joseph when her chimney caught fire.

Mineral County Fire Department and Hawthorne Volunteer Fire Department responded with Mineral County Sheriff’s Office where they soon found a distraught owner who praised her neighbor.

“My neighbor is great and he always looks out for me,” said Joseph, the home owner.

The neighbor, Mark Nixon, is no stranger to fire, having been the Walker Lake Volunteer Fire Chief for many years.

“Had Nixon not spotted the fire, this could have ended very differently,” said Under Sheriff Steve McBride who was on scene.
Joseph was able to return to her home due to the quick response of both Nixon and the fire department.

Mineral County Fire Department spokesman, Captain Daniel Goodwin concluded, “Homeowners should clean and have their chimneys inspected once a year by a qualified person.”