The suspect made threats, the police arrived and a crowd gathered. In the end, the suspect surrendered peacefully to the police.

Deputy Gabe Andrada patrols the area around the 200 block of E Street following a standoff. (Stephen Tool photo)

The suspect made threats, the police arrived and a crowd gathered. In the end, the suspect surrendered peacefully to the police.

On the morning of May 2, Steven Ted Anderson, 62, of Hawthorne, sent a text to his girlfriend. The text indicated he was despondent and planned to take his own life before noon.

Anderson’s text also indicated he was in possession of weapons; so all available police units went into action. When police arrived at the house located at 286 E St., they knocked at the door, and when they received no answer, kicked the door in and entered the residence.

The suspect fired two shots and police backed out of the residence thinking of a possible attack against them. It was later determined the suspect fired the shots into the roof. Sheriff Stewart Handte described the situation as highly volatile and unstable.

During this time, the Nevada Highway Patrol arrived to assist.  “We had enough personnel on scene,” Handte said.

At this point in time the Anderson apparently reconsidered his ploy for suicide and exited the house with his hands up and offered no resistance. Anderson also gave police a detailed description of his abandoned suicide plan.

Anderson admitted despondency over the recent breakup with his girlfriend. He also admitted to financial troubles as well.

Upon reentering the home, police discovered propane tanks and various large caliber bullets placed around the house. Handte speculated that Anderson intended to blow up the propane tanks with the bullets set up to explode as well. 

After Anderson’s surrender, police led him away in cuffs where he was lodged in the Mineral County Jail and charged with the following felonies and misdemeanors: Interfering with a police office, resisting a police officer, possession of component or explosive device and discharge of a firearm in public.

Police also charged Anderson with drawing a deadly weapon in threatening manner, assault on police officer times four, disturbing the peace setting of spring gun possession of explosive or incendiary device, aim and discharge of firearm and bomb threat.

Police set Anderson’s bail at $566,280.

“This could have gone very badly, very quickly if we had not done what we are trained to do,” Handte said.

The sheriff also gave some credit to Anderson for surrendering before the situation got out of hand. “He made the right choice by avoiding a gunfight with law enforcement and by not blowing up his house. 

“No one was shot or hurt and the subject is in custody-that’s important,” Handte said.