A shed fire in the 600 block of C Street in Hawthorne caused the evacuation of some residents and the Young Citizens Activity Center on Tuesday, Nov. 24.
The early evening fire consumed a shed that had been located across from the 6th Street School.
Firefighters from Mineral County Fire and Hawthorne Volunteer Fire Department worked at keeping the old wooden structure fire from spreading to surrounding properties. SOC Fire responded in mutual aid to give assistance where needed.
The home of Jon and Cathy MacPherson received damage from the heat that caused windows to blow out. Damage has also been reported to items on their property.
At the time, no official statement has been given to the cause of the fire. Mineral County Fire Chief T.C. Knight was unavailable for comment.
As word of the fire spread, onlookers came out to the scene, where it was reported that many drivers were looking at the fire and in turn ended up driving over fire department hoses that were laid out. It should be noted that in the Mineral County Codes, there is an old law, which can fine those who drive the fire department hoses.
As information becomes available as to the cause of the fire, the Independent-News will inform its readers.