A fair–sized crowd attended the dedication of the 1942 USO building located at 950 E St. The building was recently restored to its 1942 opulence, as well as

The new USO memorial plaque sits outside of the former USO building, which originaly opened in 1942. (Stephen Tool photo)

A fair–sized crowd attended the dedication of the 1942 USO building located at 950 E St. The building was recently restored to its 1942 opulence, as well as receiving a memorial plaque donated by the Las Vegas USO in front of the building.

A number of dignitaries attended and spoke at the event including Hawthorne Army Depot Commander Lt. Col. Craig Short, U.S. Representative of the area, Steven Horsford. Some local dignitaries, including Hawthorne citizen Ruby Hume, who once served as a junior hostess at the USO, also attended.

Each speaker extolled the value of the USO in providing comfort to U.S. troops as well as lauding service personnel. Afterward, the event moved outside for the unveiling of the plaque.

After the unveiling of the plaque, an Abraham Lincoln impressionist, Wally Earhart, gave a speech in honor of Nevada’s sesquicentennial which echoed Lincoln’s thoughts about Nevada’s impending statehood.

During the speeches and afterward, the USO had a coffee and donut social just as they did back in World War II.